In 1173 the monk Ulderico belonging to the Carthusian Order of San Bruno, founded the Charterhouse of Santa Maria di Pesio. In a short time the monastery acquires great importance, transforming itself, for almost six centuries, into one of the most important cultural and spiritual centers in Piedmont. However, after this long period of well-being and economic prosperity, the Certosa suffered attacks and looting by Napoleonic troops in 1802 which forced the monks to abandon it.
With the Restoration the Charterhouse is transformed into hydrotherapy institute intended to welcome illustrious guests such as the princes of the House of Savoy, Camillo Benso count of Cavour and Massimo d'Azeglio. After this period, heavily degraded, in 1934 the Charterhouse was restored by the missionary fathers of the Consolata of Turin and returns to his religious function.
Despite having lost its original medieval appearance, the building has retained some late Renaissance features, especially in the cloister, of particular interest, which can be accessed either from the chapel of the prior (a small room entirely frescoed in the eighteenth century with religious scenes and remarkable false perspectives ) or by a seventeenth-century bridge that crosses the stream, flanked by the construction of the abbey mill, frescoed.
The Certosa is a national monument. It is always open to visitors, especially in the summer months, with particular interest from art lovers and school groups in the last months of study.
For further information and calendar of events and meetings http://www.certosadipesio.org/